first time watercooler confuses on pump & res, help!

Pumps and reservoirs
killerk1
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

first time watercooler confuses on pump & res, help!

Postby killerk1 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi,

I have been looking at putting Koolance pump and top mounted res but i am getting confused on the parts i need?

I had selected a PMP-450 and am under the the impression i need a certain amount of other stuff to be able to get the whole thing to function properly.

I am confused as i have seen a pump thats called a PMP 300 and different size res tubes and its all really confusing.

Can some one please shed some light on all the compatible parts i need that fit together??

Thank you for your help.
Corsair 760T | Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | AMD FX-8350 4.8ghz | Koolance 380A | Crossfire MSi R9 290 4GB | X2 Samsung 250GB Ssd RAID 0 |

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: first time watercooler confuses on pump & res, help!

Postby Ace0751 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:41 am

First off welcome. You will need more than just a pump and res to get going. You're also going to need blocks, radiators, fittings, tubing, coolant (of course), and what ever else you want to throw in. The 450 pump alone takes 13mm ID (Internal Diameter), but if you take it apart and put it in one of the required reservoirs then it can fit 10mm ID. The pump 300 is mainly for small liquid cooling systems and only takes 6mm ID tubing which slows your flow rate and its a very thin tubing so I would not suggest it. 10mmID x 13mmOD tubing is the recommended size for liquid cooling, you can go 13mmID x 16mmOD but it won't make the flow rate any better and plus that is a thick tubing size.

Installing the pump in the res is really not hard, koolance has great instructions to follow. If you're confused on all of this and want an all in one system look into the exos systems. They have mostly everything you need. If you still want to go the pump and res route then you will need more components. Try reading the intro guide to liquid cooling on the front page of the site, hope that will also give you some good insight on what you would need.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

killerk1
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby killerk1 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. My main issue is with the Pump and res base. I am in the UK and am struggling to locate a 450 pump to go with the 450 res base that i need to put the pump motor inside?

Is it any laing D5 pump that will fit inside the Koolance 450 base? All the other parts i am okay with i have the CPU block and i am ordering the GPU block along with radiators etc. I thought i would get all the parts first, put them in my system to get an idea of where i want it all located and once i had done this then i would order the fittings and tubing.

Its the reservoir base and pump which is the confusing part for me and how i get hold of a 450 pump in the UK or if i can use any pump?

Thank you.
Corsair 760T | Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | AMD FX-8350 4.8ghz | Koolance 380A | Crossfire MSi R9 290 4GB | X2 Samsung 250GB Ssd RAID 0 |

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Fri May 23, 2014 4:05 pm

The PMP-450 is a re-branded D5 pump so yes any D5 should fit. Personally I went with the 2x450S versions instead of the variable ones as I don't hear them at full speed anyways with them burried within the case and isolated via rubber mounts.

To get an idea of where tubing is going to go and how much you need a string can give you an idea then just ad a bunch extra to accommodate for mis-cuts and curve radii etc. Last thing you want to happen is have it all together cut the last tube too short and have to wait on yet another shipment of tube.

For fittings it becomes easier with experience but having a few extra of difference types has also been useful. My first system I ordered 1 strait fitting for every location then added 2x45 fittings and 2x90 fittings.

A couple extra fitting that you might not use is far cheaper than additional shipping, handling, customs, tariff costs etc (same thing with extra tubing).
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

killerk1
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby killerk1 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:08 am

Thank you, yes that's a very good idea I will order some extra fittings as I would like to have it looking as neat as possible. I was even considering putting some quick release fittings between my video card so that I can remove it if needed in future. Do you have any advice on tube and coolent? What I wanted was the clearest possible tubing I can get so I can put in some aurora coolent in red as I wanted to be able to see the soapy like look flowing through the pipes complimented by a corsair link lighting Led strip. Any advice on good brands, sizing of tube etc? Some of the sizes are confusing I think I just want the standard size throughout.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Mon May 26, 2014 8:27 am

Aurora coolant is horrible to use for anything than a show piece. Put it in for the show take it out after the show, it really isn't meant for long term use which is shame considering how pretty it is. There are lots of people with clogging issues and other problems.

For coloring there are two things you can do.
a. Red Tubing and clear/red fluid
b. Clear tubing and red fluid

To start I would honestly use Koolance (Warranty Purposes) fluid until your more comfortable with liquid cooling and as Ace said the size of tubing most widely used is 10mmID x 13mmOD.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Pumps & Reservoirs”