PMP-500 mounting orientation options?

Pumps and reservoirs
JRoch
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

PMP-500 mounting orientation options?

Postby JRoch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:37 pm

There is, unfortunately, no manual for the pump, and no technical data in the "files" section for it. I need to know what orientations for this pump are supported, given that I'm creating a custom solution with decoupled mounting and acoustic isolation.

Given that the motor housing has heat sink fins, I'm going to assume that it needs nominal air cooling. Aside from that, what are the constraints?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: PMP-500 mounting orientation options?

Postby Izerous » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:53 am

To my knowledge none of the pumps Koolance sells are actually orientation specific. In my current case I did use a vibration isolation mounting method with the dual PMP-450S pumps and it does help, they are on max because I cannot even hear them or their vibrations.

The PMP-500 is supposed to be on the louder side compared to the 400/450/450s and I would just be careful with the acoustic isolation. Typical acoustic isolation methods also block general airflow making component run warmer due to lowered general airflow.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

JRoch
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby JRoch » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm building an external cooling cabinet, so I've options that don't exist in most computer cases. Essentially I plan on suspending the pump within a sub-box that is open on the top and bottom for air flow, but that is otherwise clad with acoustic foam. So no direct transfer of vibration to the structure itself, just open-air noise. That sub-box is within a larger box that, itself, is clad in acoustic foam, with the exceptions being the sides: one being a 360mm fan and the koolance 9xFan radiator, and the other being a square cutout filtered by a standard 20x20x1 home furnace filter. So the free-air sound deadening should be reasonably good, hopefully.

That the pump can be mounted in any orientation makes it easier to suspend without bolted attachment.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 am

2 extra notes.

I would suggest being careful with a suspension mount to ensure that the line or whatever method your using is tight. The rotational force of the pump turning on/off or as it chokes on air bubbles while bleeding could jerk it around quite a bit. I used something quite a bit more basic... not sure what the proper term is but they are essentially motherboard standoffs but the male/female parts are connected only by rubber.

The other thing to note is that you may find that a home furnace filter is more restrictive than expected unless your using server fans. You might need to play around with filtration levels, it might be to the point where the cheapest worst filtering filters give you the better airflow.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Pumps & Reservoirs”