Radiator Selection and Loop Layout

Heat exchangers, fans...
JrBiem
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Radiator Selection and Loop Layout

Postby JrBiem » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello Everyone, I am new to the forums as well as to water cooling! But I am very excited to get into it. We have been given an assignment in my hardware class for the networking program at my tech school to write a paper about the cost of ordering a pre-built system or purchasing parts to build a similar system ourselves. So the hands on part of me thought 'hey, i'm actually going to build this thing instead of write some lame paper about it'

I think I have pretty well figured out all of the waterblocks/tubing/fittings I am going to need to do this. However, I am a bit confused about how you figure out how much radiator is needed for the system, as well as whether or not the pump I have chosen will accomodate everything in the build, or if I need to add another perhaps?

First of all: The PC components to be used in the build and what I intend to watercool (waterblock in perenthesis next to each part)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10
Mobo: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=821 , http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=660 x2 with appropriate heat transfer plates)
CPU: i7 980x (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=978)
VID: x2 Radeon HD 5970 in crossfirex (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=947 x2 connected with http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=872)
RAM: Hexa Channel Patriot 24GB DDR3 1600 (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=860 connected together with the U-connectors)

I plan to use the RP-1000 pump, and there will also be a flow meter and temp sensor somewhere in the mix, along with some well placed QDCs for maintenance. I will be using 13mm tubing for the setup.

A couple questions:
1. How do I determine how much radiator I will need to handle this system? I can fit a 1x140 rad in the front side of the mobo compartment on the intake fan and another 1x140 in the rear on the exhaust fan. (I am assuming that those will not be enough to handle the system so was thinking about a 3x140 externally mounted on the exhaust fan as well)
2. Will the RP 1000 be sufficient enough on its own?
3. What would be the advised way to hook this all together? One continuous loop with radiators between say the CPU and GPU? Or some sort of multiple loop system? If multiple loop, does each loop need it's own pump or would you just use splitters off the original pump?

JrBiem
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Radiator Selection and Loop Layout

Postby JrBiem » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 am

Ok, so upon further review and additional measurements it turns out that a 1x140 rad will not fit inside the mobo compartment at the rear exhaust in the level 10 case. It does however appear that the HX-CU720V could possibly fit on the 140mm intake fan at the front of the mobo compartment if I use a BKT-ADT120140 to secure it to the fan.

Then I was thinking I could use a BKT-HX001 to mount a HX-CU1403V on the outside rear of the case (with the length of that rad it would almost line up perfectly to run the tubing straight through an L bracket, with QDCs to allow for easily disconnecting the hoses to swing the mobo door open).

What do you guys think? 1700w of total heat dissipation good enough to cool what I intend to cool?

I'm thinking of a loop to this effect:
RP1000->RAM->MOSFET1->MOSFET2->N/S Bridge->Internal 2x120 rad->i7 980x Gulftown->Dual Radeon HD 5970s->External 3x140 rad->RP1000

Am I somewhat on target with this idea? I would greatly appreciate some input from all you well informed folks out there! :-)

JrBiem
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby JrBiem » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:24 am

Well I stand corrected yet again LoL...

My idea for the internal rad is scrapped because I just double checked the dimensions of the 5970s and since they are a whopping 12" long there is no way a rad will fit between them and the intake fan (silly me!)

I am trying very hard to come up with a creative full functioning watercooling system for my thermaltake level 10 (of course to prove all the naysayers wrong, since the reviews I read say it cannot be done and everyone I have seen slaps on that Corsair H50 to the processor and calls it a day). So could I use the same loop I suggested in my 2nd post but without the internal 2x120 rad and still have sufficient temperatures?

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:30 am

A couple of things you will need to consider. First off the Koolance RAM blocks will not work with the modules' heat spreaders still in place. You need to be sure you can remove the spreaders without damaging the RAM chips. I had a quick look at the units on New Egg and it doesn't look too promising (and at that price you don't want to screw them up). The good news is that RAM cooling is a low priority as most modules do just fine on air. If you want to have water cooled RAM take a look at OCZ who have some models with screwed on spreaders you can easily remove.
For loop design the CPU should be getting the coolest liquid and putting a rad between it and the GPU is something that worked for me. Figuring out the amount of dissipation is not too hard. The theoretical maximum is the output of your PSU (since we are not going below ambient that's the only source of energy to be turned into heat). You can check the power consumption of the various components on the web- just Google the component and power consumption. Obviously much of the power is used to perform useful work but again it gives you a top limit. Note that if you overclock you will get higher power consumption and temps.
Your pump will be able to run the whole loop as a series but you would get better results with two loops (which requires two separate pumps); you could have the CPU and MB blocks on one and GPUs on the other. The 5 rad set up you are planning will cope comfortably with the heat produced by your system. I can't find their individual dissipation capacity on the Koolance site but the equivalent 120s would produce around 1,700- 2,000W of dissipation so the 140's would have to be better than that.
One final tip. Buy one extra set of QDCs, you can then open the loop at any point and by attaching the spare QDCs to the open ends easily drain the system.

JrBiem
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby JrBiem » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Mik. I know that it isnt neccessary to liquid cool RAM, I just have an urge to show people that you can customize a liquid cooling system to handle *everything* in a thermaltake level 10 case. :-)

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:55 am

No problem with that; I just don't want you to shred $1,300 worth of RAM :) . I have water cooled RAM in my own system but I used the Corsair Dominator GT memory for which Corsair makes a bespoke water block. It's the only non- Koolance block in the loop.

M.gunnerQuist
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby M.gunnerQuist » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 am

JrBiem, were you ever able to install a water cooling system in your Thermaltake Level 10? I thinking of doing the same. :?:
Case: Thermaltake Level 10
PSU: Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250 Watt
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Intel i7-980X
Video: (2x) XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition

IronWallace
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby IronWallace » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Being new to the forums, and to water cooling, I have some of my own ideas as to how to setup the system and I have a couple questions.
What I find online when forums talk about cooling the GPU is they all say you want the coldest liquid possible going into it to allow the warmer water to come out of it. So what I'm thinking of doing for the loop design is this:
V2 --> CPU --> Radiator --> GPU --> Return
while mounting the 2 fan radiator in the top of the case, where the exhaust is supposed to go. Which brings me to question 1:
What risks does this setup run?

I was talking to some friends at work about the subject of water cooling, and one of them brought up a horror story about how one night they decided to leave the heat off and leave the windows open in the winter time and the cooling system burst, destroying a $3000+ computer. Which leads to question 2:
What is the freezing point of the coolant?
Case: Zalman GS1000
PSU: 1200W SPG
MB: ASUS Max4 extreme
CPU: i7 2600k
Video: evga 590x Classified hydro

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:51 pm

You don't want the system to be ice cold that's not what liquid cooling is about. During the summer it will get a little warmer than usual cause of temps going up and the humidity. The reason for liquid cooling is to have a steady temperature for intense gaming or whatever you plan on doing with it. As for air cooling it only sucks up the warm air being generated bu the component and if its warm out then its going to keep the component hot. As for liquid it will stay at a steady temp depending on how well the flow is and what you have exhausting the heat. Have to remember to when your friend's system broke it was probably from all that pressure built inside that made it explode, cause when building a system you don't want anything loose for coolant to get through and that's where the pressure comes into factor.

As for the first question, that is a good setup to start with but if you want a better flow try adding a pump after the GPU for a better flow back to the exos it seems that's what you have. Hope some of this info helps out.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

IronWallace
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Radiator Selection and Loop Layout & CFM ratings

Postby IronWallace » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:38 pm

I figure if I can keep the room the system will be in above a certain temperature in the winter time, it should be ok.

Is it actually possible to get it ice cold with this system?
I figure the system might need 600W TDP at the most, and adding a radiator might be too much.

I'm also not sure on the subject of airflow.
Some of these radiators are rated low-to-medium, or high... I've got 72 CFM out of each fan, I'm not sure how that translates.
Case: Zalman GS1000
PSU: 1200W SPG
MB: ASUS Max4 extreme
CPU: i7 2600k
Video: evga 590x Classified hydro

Return to “Radiators & Fans”