Position of RAD & Fans

Heat exchangers, fans...
bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Position of RAD & Fans

Postby bmxjumperc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:42 am

ImageImage

The blue LED fan on the left is a slow moving silent fan that came built in with the NZXT Phantom case and it feels like it is barely moving air through the radiator and the fan on the right is a high performance fan that deffinitely moves air through the radiator when it is turned up. The radiator is the 120x2 30FPI RAD so I'm not sure if the fans are doing an adequit job of cooling the liquid, I heard that it may be a problem if the nozles are facing down and the fans are blowing down, I don't know which one of those may actually be an issue?

@Fluxc0re thanks for the advice to have the nozles facing up I'm not ready to turn my case upside down yet I do want more information about this?
@Ace0751 Oh I see when I said the fans turned down I meant I have case fan dials on my case that controll the speed of the fans.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Position of RAD & Fans

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 am

Don't need to make a lot of threads it gets confusing lol.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:31 am

Air is like water, electricity and many other things that move, it takes the path of least resistance. Because the fans are not sealed against radiator if is going to affect the overall performance, because the air would rather go around the radiator then be forced through it. When you seal a fan against a radiator it has no choice but to go through instead of around.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bmxjumperc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 am

Yah that's true idol temps on air were about 37C to 38C, with liquid they are 35C to 36C idol. Under a slight load the temp is about 15C cooler.

Yes there is a little ventilation on the top of the case not a lot and I don't think there is room to put 120mm fans, the top fans on the case like you were saying are 200mm fans.

Yah not many builds used the built in RAD mounts and fans on this case when I was researching this build, everyone either modded the case or modded the case to get a RAD in. This is the built in layout on this case I thought I would try it I like it.

It has a lot of breathing room but the fans aren't touching the RAD so air is diffinetly escapign around it which was why I brought up the question about the slow fan because the high performance fan seems to push air through but the slow silent fan doesn't really do anything even when turned up I can put my hand under there and feel air coming through the fast fan and not the slow fan. The computer seems to operate all day even when the fans are turned down so it's not necesairly a question of does it work but is it built correctly?

You're right the RAD isn't touching the fans the fans are built into the case and the RAD is hanging from the top, there is about a 2mm gap between the top fans and the RAD.

Last edited by bmxjumperc on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 am

That's probably why your temps are higher than normal cause their is no ventilation on the top dispensing the warm air. Try placing the rad in a different place so it can have room to breathe
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bmxjumperc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 am

Well I'm using the built in layout because I like it so far, I still appreciate the advice, if air idol was 38C and liquid idol is 35C with this build is that not cooling hardly at all compared to other builds? The only other place I could put it is in the back this case wasn't built to put it in the top bezle like the Phantom 410 is. My big question is if say the fans aren't doing a whole lot is the RAD still cooling the liquid or is this just a dead end loop, Ace replied nicely saying the RAD will still disipate heat with out fans probably won't really cool the liquid but will dissipate heat.

I'd just like to know how vaild of a way of cooling this is, because it does work I don't have any other system to compre it to. So like what kinda temps do you guys get?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am

Idol temps mean more when you mention the typical ambient temperature of the room. Cooling really more about Delta temperatures. Either way if you improved how the fans interact with the rad you would most likely see much better results. Under heavy load is really where your going to see the difference too.

Note if the top fans are blowing into the case the white 120mm fan on the rear should at least be blowing out.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:32 am

If you would like to know just CPU temps mine are around 34-36c idle and under full load it will not go above 50c. My temps are a little high because if you use a more powerful processor and board you will get more heat. Add my gpu it idles at 28c and it never goes over 45c under full load. What processor do you have that might make a difference in temps like I just mentioned.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bmxjumperc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Oh wow that is great insentive to water cool my GPU because I know the 480 is hot but it stais around 89C under load and 46C idol. Under load the CPU is around 53C I havn't Prim95ed it yet I'm scepticle about forcing the CPU to be fully loaded over a long period of time on these expensive processors and motherboards. The processor is the i7 2700K for reference.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:26 pm

The gpu is good to cool just have to be careful to install the block. Didn't know intel came out with the 2700k lol just looked it up. Hope all this info helps. Those temps should be close to normal since it uses turbo so it will produce some heat. I thinks the placement of the rad is causing a little problem but those temps are normal so don't worry now if they reach 60c then I would start to troubleshoot the problem and try another method on the rad placement.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Return to “Radiators & Fans”