Exos 2.5 LT fan replacement

Heat exchangers, fans...
jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Exos 2.5 LT fan replacement

Postby jmcinvale » Thu May 31, 2012 5:27 pm

I am wanting to replace the two 80 mm fans in my Exos 2.5 Lt cooling system for my Xbox360. What fans would be a good choice to use?

The max airflow of the stock fans are 42 CFM.

Doesn't need to be anything expensive just quiet with the same or greater airflow.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Exos 2.5 LT fan replacement

Postby Ace0751 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:38 pm

You can always use koolances fans if noise is not a problem. Also try noctua if you don't do any extreme overclocking I have that on my rad right now and have to say quite impressed with the tmeps. CPU does not go any higher than 50c on a HOT day and that's a 130w CPU lol.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Only Koolance 80 mm fan is the one like what is currently installed in the Exos. Looked at Noctua, but their 80mm fan In saw has a lower airflow than the stock Koolance fans. I could always just use one 3" fan and get a 3" to 5" adapter and use a 5" fan :mrgreen:

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Anyone? I am maybe thinking of getting a radiator that can handle two 120mm fans .

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:21 am

The effort will best be put towards a rad with 120mm fans. You have far more options, however won't fit inside the same enclosure.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 am

I agree.

I found a fan I really like.

http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-shark-120mm-red.html

Radiator

http://koolance.com/index.php?route=pro ... ct_id=1224

Given this is just for an Xbox360 could I simply go with one of those fans and a single fan radiator http://koolance.com/index.php?route=pro ... ct_id=1215 and achieve more cooling than the dual 80 mm fan??

I still will want to use the controller to provide temp reading and auto adjust the fan(s) unless the lowest voltage is too low for the
fan(s) to start then I will just use a manual fan setting.

If not for wanting to know the temperature I could simply do without the controller & temp sensor. At one time my plan was to make the flow meter shut off the xbox360 in the event of no flow, but have not figured out how to implement that yet so for now it just provides light. May remove it if I go with the external radiator unless it does not affect coolant flow enough to make a difference.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:14 pm

If your going outside the enclosure even if it is only for a 360 you will appreciate the 2.120 more over the 1.120.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Ok I will do the two 120mm fans then. Any ideas on how I could possibly mount the display/controller in a smaller box? If I can then I will have eliminated a big box. I suppose I could then use nozzle couplers to connect the flowmeter and temp sensor directly to the radiator to minimize loss in flow.

I chose this radiator http://koolance.com/index.php?route=pro ... ct_id=1090

I have this flowmeter http://koolance.com/index.php?route=pro ... uct_id=288

and this coolant temp sensor http://koolance.com/index.php?route=pro ... uct_id=702

I am using this pump + reservoir http://koolance.com/index.php?route=pro ... uct_id=296

I am on a limited budget so cannot spend too much.

Component placement will be from left to right as follows:

radiator, Exos 2.5LT (using to house control board/display + flowmeter & temp sensor), pump + radiator & xbox360

I have some 90 degree nozzles. I plan on using a pair of 90 degree nozzles on the radiator Should I use some sorrt of height adaptor to permit the tubing to be run on top of each other?

Also should I use a couple 90 degree adapters on the reservoir?

If I use the 90 degree nozzles will I see a reduction in flow compaired to using straight nozzles and bending the tubing in a u shape?

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 am

I got the fans a couple days ago and they will run on the lowest speed setting on the Exos 2.5 LT so I can still run in auto fan control mode if so desired, but these fans are so quiet that I could more than likely run them at full speed, but will have to wait till I get the radiator in the mail to know how loud they will actually be. The fans are so quiet that I'm thinking of buying another to install in the Corsair 600 watt computer power supply (has internal 5" fan) I am using to power my xbox360.

My plan is to remove the coolant temp sensor and flowmeter from the case and put them in the loop externally. The case will then be put on the far left with the radiator between the case and pump.

I think that I am short two 90 degree nozzles though.

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:09 pm

I got the radiator installed today. First thing I noticed was higher coolant flow. With the fans on auto temp is holding steady at 100F, but may drop down some as the room I have the Xbox in cools down to room temperature.

I found that the Aero Cool fans I am using don't pull quite as much air as the nearly seven year old Thermaltake TT-1225 fan I borrowed from my computer does, but the Aero Cool fans look better as the case is more of a see through dark smoke color and somewhat matches the radiator and uses four LEDs compared to the two of the Thermaltake Plus the Aero Cool fans do the job good enough for my liking.

I turned the fans up to max speed and the temp went from 97F to 91F in about two minutes if not less.

The room is maybe around 75F and the temp display with the fans on auto is 93F

Picture.

At night

Return to “Radiators & Fans”