TMS-200 Does Not Start Pump on Boot

Koolance TMS Software & Hardware Interface...
Savage1701
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

TMS-200 Does Not Start Pump on Boot

Postby Savage1701 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 am

Just set up a new system. Ran my PMP400 off a 12-volt fan line to check for leaks, the usual. Hooked it up to the pump connector on the TMS-200 and booted the system. The pump did not energize. I immediately killed the power after about 8 seconds. As an experiment I inserted a spare 12V pump into the loop and ran it. I then rebooted, knowing my CPU would be fine since the radiator fan was just being run off a 4-pin molex at that time. Not until the system was fully loaded and on the desktop did the alarms sound, and the pump finally fire up.

Is this unit in need of a firmware upgrade? If I had not known about this (I own TMS-100's that never start the pump on boot) I would have fried my CPU.

Thanks for any help.

astrodanco
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Re: TMS-200 Does Not Start Pump on Boot

Postby astrodanco » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:48 pm

That's odd. The TMS-200 powers my pump and fans immediately when I turn my system on. What's the color of the sticker on your board? If you purchased the TMS-200 directly from Koolance, you should call Koolance support on their support hot line.

Sounds almost like a first time set up problem? Now that you've run the TMS software and set the all pumps to maximum power (level 10, 12.73V, does the pump come on when the system is turned on?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the hardware actually requires the software for anything other than board set up and OS shutdown mode (the latter of which I've not gotten to work). Other than those functions the software is just a convenient pump characterization, monitoring and logging tool.

BTW, "odd" things will happen if the TMS-200 isn't getting both good 12V and good 5V on it's molex power connector. But that's easy to notice when it happens because it's USB port won't work in that case and the software (when/if you run it) won't be able to communicate with the board.
Core i7 920 (D0) @ 4.0Ghz, P6T Deluxe V2 (1003), 12GB CM3X2G1600C7 @ 1600 7.7.7.20 2T, ATCS 840, Antec TPQ 850, Radeon 4850, TMS-200+EB200+FM17, EK Supreme HF, EK-D5 dual top, 2X MCP-655-B, MCR-320, 6X Skythe D1225C12B5AP-15, Durelene tubing, BP fittings.

Savage1701
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby Savage1701 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am

Astro:

Thanks for the suggestions. Having struggled with the dreaded 100 series, some of my ideas were exactly yours, including 3 different power supplies by Antec, Rosewill, and Hiper. Still only got my red LED at driver load on the desktop.

I was under the same impression as you - the hardware was OS-agnostic until the desktop driver loaded, and ran everything full out ( I think one member even complained about that )

Koolance had me RMA the Rev 2.0 board back to them. We'll see what we get and I will post back. After fighting with 4 or 5 of the 100 series, I was hoping for better and maybe the firmware fix will do that.

Thanks for your time.

damunk
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby damunk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 am

This is the first time you ran the pump on it? I think the first time I ran the board I had the same problem with my fans, I first had to load up the program and set the values, then afterwards it would always boot like that. Maybe it has the same thing with the pump? Or does it do the same thing once you've configured it in the software and reboot?

astrodanco
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby astrodanco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Savage1701 wrote:Still only got my red LED at driver load on the desktop.

My observations (observations only, not facts) are: That is normal. All that the red LED indicates is that the software running on the system is in communication with the board. Other than that, it does not say anything about what the board is doing. The instant you apply power to the board, it should power your fans and your pumps. On a cold boot from a power off condition the board will power your fans and pumps at 100%. Starting at 100% is actually good, at least for fans that might need more power in order to get spinning in the first place. If/when the software finally runs and communicates with the board, the software then changes the fan and pump power level to whatever power level settings you have configured. It seems that the board isn't given any settings to remember and/or doesn't have any capability of its own for remembering any settings across power interruptions. If that is true, it's pretty retarded.
Core i7 920 (D0) @ 4.0Ghz, P6T Deluxe V2 (1003), 12GB CM3X2G1600C7 @ 1600 7.7.7.20 2T, ATCS 840, Antec TPQ 850, Radeon 4850, TMS-200+EB200+FM17, EK Supreme HF, EK-D5 dual top, 2X MCP-655-B, MCR-320, 6X Skythe D1225C12B5AP-15, Durelene tubing, BP fittings.

damunk
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby damunk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:58 am

astrodanco wrote:
Savage1701 wrote:Still only got my red LED at driver load on the desktop.

My observations (observations only, not facts) are: That is normal. All that the red LED indicates is that the software running on the system is in communication with the board. Other than that, it does not say anything about what the board is doing. The instant you apply power to the board, it should power your fans and your pumps. On a cold boot from a power off condition the board will power your fans and pumps at 100%. Starting at 100% is actually good, at least for fans that might need more power in order to get spinning in the first place. If/when the software finally runs and communicates with the board, the software then changes the fan and pump power level to whatever power level settings you have configured. It seems that the board isn't given any settings to remember and/or doesn't have any capability of its own for remembering any settings across power interruptions. If that is true, it's pretty retarded.

Are you sure? As soon as I had configured my settings in the software it would also use them when booting up. For example if I'd disable one set of fans and let one set spin at 10% it will actually do that when booting up aswell.

Return to “Software”