**Discontinued Video Blocks & Explanation

Video card/GPU water cooling blocks...
[Koolance] Tim

**Discontinued Video Blocks & Explanation

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:20 am

Many customers can no longer find Koolance video blocks for earlier generation cards. We understand this can be frustrating, and we would like to explain this situation in better detail. We have provided a current list of discontinued models at the bottom of this post for reference.

More than any other type of water block, video cards require continuous updating, revisions, and new releases. This is simply due to the nature of the hardware market, where a new card arrives every 3-8 months or so. When this happens, Koolance will produce an initial batch of video blocks for sale. We continue making batches based on popularity of the product-- it is not a "continuous output" manufacturing situation.

When a newer video card arrives, demand usually shifts to that block and eventually decreases on the earlier model. For example, sales of an earlier product may decrease to 600 units per month, but our minimum production quantity might be 4000. Since there will be new video cards coming out over the following months, sales will continue to drop each month on the older product. At that point, we must decide whether to produce another batch or discontinue the model. As you can imagine, it can become unreasonably expensive to keep a large volume of water blocks on hand for an older video card.

Unfortunately, frequent video card releases means our water blocks may also arrive and depart quickly. We apologize for the inconvenience this can cause customers who upgrade a little later. If you are planning a new build with a new video card, we would strongly encourage you to purchase the water block during initial availability. We often can not predict how long that water block will be produced.

Below is a list of video card models discontinued in 2008. Our product wizard will suggest alternatives for these cards when the full coverage models are no longer available. This is commonly the GPU-200 with heat sinks for the memory and Vreg areas (any areas in contact with the original stock heat sink). Since it has a similar internal structure, the GPU-200 provides roughly identical performance on the GPU as our full-coverage blocks.

VID-278 (GeForce 8800GT 512MB)
VID-279 (GeForce 8800GT/GTS 512MB)
VID-280 (GeForce 8800GTS 320/640MB)
VID-282 (GeForce 8800GTX/Ultra)
VID-290 (Radeon HD 2900 XT/Pro)
VID-385 (Radeon HD 3850)
VID-387 (Radeon HD 3870)
VID-387X2 (Radeon HD 3870 X2)
VID-398 (GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+)
VID-398GX2 (GeForce 9800 GX2)

seps
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: **Discontinued Video Blocks & Explanation

Postby seps » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:49 am

Koolance,

I can understand discontinuing water blocks for cards like the 2900XT Pro but I feel you jumped the gun on discontinuing your 8800GT and 9800GTX coolers. These cards are still best bang for the buck today.

I can even understand discontinuing them by the end of the year but I think you were a little early. I have a nearly complete setup that is all Koolance but cant get the water blocks I want now.

The VID-200 isnt an option for me either because I want to overclock the RAM on my 8800GT's but wont have the protection of a full cover block.

Am I the only one who thinks the gun was jumped on canceling these 2 water blocks?

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:51 pm

We need to rely on the demand for our water blocks when determining production. It may be that a particular video card actually increases in market popularity (due to a price cut, for example), but simultaneously, the demand for water cooling it decreases. In that example, it could be that earlier video card buyers are more likely to liquid cool than later buyers.

Flash Gordon
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Flash Gordon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:54 pm

I have to agree with the reply about the company Koolance jumping the gun on discontinuing it's production of the 9800gtx vid 398 waterblock. At 170-199$ the 9800gtx is simply the most affordable and most value card on the market to buy at this time; especially with the introduction of the 9800gtx+.

I bought 2 9800gtx cards when the price was lowered and was extremely disappointed to find out that like this company no longer offered the waterblock for sale. Luckily, I found a website a few weeks ago that still had them in stock so I bought 2 vid398 blocks but for those that weren't so lucky I feel for you.

I actually plan on buying another 9800gtx and most likely will have to look for another company to supply the block because of Koolance discontinuing them. I don't think it's smart business to end production on a card that still has another 4 months of buying interest. People are going to be upgrading to them because of the cheap price and when they need to watercool it there going to look to another water-cooling company like swiftech, ek, dangerden ect...

and just imagine whats going to happen if they are satisfied with their products. there going to buy more from that company.

I would put another order in for the 9800gtx water blocks if I was in the driver seat there. but I'm not. so I can only guess more people are going to buy the 9800gtx for the next 3-4 months and get the waterblocks from other companies.

Dragon
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Dragon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:08 pm

is there an option where you could possibly special order one or two of any discontinued items at a discount? or maybe even an additional price to get it special ordered.. not that I need to special order, but just throwing an idea out there

Raijin
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Raijin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Well here is my take on this situation, keeping up with the joneses is a good thing but I personally think you are cutting your legs off to suit the needs of your patrons.. I mean realistically all your doing is pushing the best when not so many can afford the best in todays market..

Take me for example.. I was a hardcore Air cool'er for many years, then i decided to start my own buisness of building custom PC's and have done so for many years, Then After much deliberation with a new Member of a clan that i currently build for ..the Admin of this clan has been telling me about the best pc Liquid cooler manufacturer that goes by the name of Koolance..and after pouring through several hundred posts and builds i too have decided to add Liquid cooling to my inventory as well ..however just as i have made my initial first liquid cooling sale to a customer i am greeted by a discontinued listing for an item that was Well quite frankly Available a little less then a month ago.. Well needless to say My Customer wasnt hppy and now I too am thinking that this company and their claims of being the best isnt all that they are cracked up to be..if this company is only out there for the cutting edge Clients and dont support older or less newwer platforms then obviously when a product is no longer made or has been deemed as not worth the effort to be made anylonger then those that did purchase products prior have lost out on future parts and supplies where needed..personally i find this to be a major error with many manufacturers of Said Quality Parts

I was going to drop $1500 worth of parts into my customers Build using only Koolance products and I had another 3 customers behind him that also wanted full koolance parts and cases as well, However Koolance needs to understand that when a customer is looking to build a TRI SLI PC The option to purchase $1500 - $2000 worth of video cards isnt always there for all customers, and if you produce a limited quanity of parts for lower end cards then discontinue them at ir-regular pace then the point of purchasing items from your company is limited to say the least as is the warranty issue that must be provided to a customer at point of sending the customer a product from your company that only leaves me the builder the option to turn customers away from your company and to try and push customers to another company such as DangerDen's or Gigabyte or Thermaltake orothers that do support their needs and who will put a guarantee on availability

Raijin
R & R Performance PC's

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 am

I have discussed this with our manufacturing department, and there is good news. They have enough materials on hand to produce another limited batch of VID-398 to reevaluate sales. This product has been reactivated on the website for customers to opt-in for stock notification. Production and shipping time should place availability in mid to late October. The VID-398's web page will be updated with the ETA once this is narrowed down.

actual starbuck
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby actual starbuck » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:44 am

I have to agree that this practice is very BAD for Koolance over the long haul.

I happen to be a loyal Koolance customer who has had multiple systems over the years and currently have a Lian P4 case with full water-cooling.

I purchased a 9800GX2 video card last night, then came to the Koolance site - only to find it w/ a "Notify" button. When I emailed Koolance, I was told it was no longer available.

This leaves me
1. Pretty angry
2. Having to negotiate w/ Tiger Direct to change/cancel my video card order
3. Considering whether or not to buy the water-cooled PSU from Koolance that I had planned on
4. Thinking about changing to another cooling company longer-term.

I hope that Koolance CEO or other "bigwigs" think long and hard about this practice. They are likely shooting themselves in the foot.

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:41 am

The VID-398GX2's have still been in production since our Aug. 8th homepage announcement. Shipments of those are also expected between now and the end of October.

seps
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby seps » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 am

Would the VID-398 fit on the 8800GT?

Return to “Water Blocks - Video”