Exos 2.5 Temperatures

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
Mathemagician
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Exos 2.5 Temperatures

Postby Mathemagician » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm

I've got an i7 920 running at 4.2 with 1.35 vcore cooled by an Exos 2.5, CPU-350AT, and 1/2" ID tubing. The core temps in RealTemp are in the upper 70s under prime95 load. The temp probe is mounted on the side of the cpu block and never displays temps exceeding 33C. I was surprised by this number. Does it seem correct or might I have done something incorrectly?

Edit: I believe the 33C is correct as the block is barely warm to the touch.

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Exos 2.5 Temperatures

Postby Mik » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:05 pm

You should seriously limit your use of the machine until you sort this out; 70C is not good. The most likely culprit is poor contact between the water block and the CPU. Do you have any other blocks in the loop? If you do and their temps are ok then that's almost certainly the problem.
Other possibilities include poor flow. Do you have a flow meter? What are your pump/ fan settings? If no flow meter can you hear the pump running?
If that's all ok how about bubbles? Any visible in the system? Is the coolant at the right level (about 1/4 inch below the reservoir top)?
Checking the last two is easy and you don't have to crack the case so I'd do that first even though they're less likely to be the problem. Once you've done the visual and it's ok then try twisting the block using firm but gentle hand pressure. It should just move. If it's sloppy try tightening it down and then have another temp check. If that doesn't work you'll need to remove the water block, clean it and the CPU and reseat. Examine the surfaces as you do this to see how the paste is distributed. You should use the minimum paste necessary, it should be virtually translucent.
Hope that helps

Mathemagician
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Mathemagician » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:20 pm

There are no other blocks in the loop. No visible bubbles, flow should not be relevant because the block itself is not heating up. It can be twisted in the bracket with a good bit of pressure, but not otherwise. I've seated it twice with the same result. I suppose I can try again...

wgb
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby wgb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:37 pm

I agree with Mik. The most likely cuprite is poor contact between the cooling block and the CPU. For the cooling block to not follow the CPU temp there almost has to be a gap. Is there any chance that a section of the metal tape that holds the temperature probe to the cooling block overlapped the bottom of the cooler and is holding it off the CPU?
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE Thuban AM3 125W (CPU-360)
ASUS Crosshair III Formula 790FX (MB-ASC3F)
8 GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 (RAM-35)
2 x Radeon HD 5970 Hemlock 2GB (VID-AR597)
BFG Tech EX-1200 PSU
2 x Western Digital 10,000 RPM VelociRaptor 300GB in RAID 0

Mathemagician
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Mathemagician » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:43 pm

That seems the most likely culprit to me as well. However, I'm at a loss to correct it. There is no chance the tape is under the lip of the block. Could it be the CPU's mounting bracket maybe?

Having followed these (http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinst ... d_wcap.pdf) instructions precisely once again, the situation remains unchanged.

wgb
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby wgb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 pm

How did the thermal compound pattern on the bottom of the cooling block look? If it was not making good contact with the CPU you should be able to tell by the compound distribution. I know it is a silly question but did you remove the protective film from the bottom of the cooler? Is the cooler tightened down enough on the CPU? I would question about sensor placement but with a 70 deg C core temp (you are reading Celsius and not Fahrenheit correct?) the cooler cannot be making contact with the CPU. What kind of core temps were you getting with the factory heat sink?
BFG Tech EX-1200 PSU

Mathemagician
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Mathemagician » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:25 pm

wgb wrote:How did the thermal compound pattern on the bottom of the cooling block look? If it was not making good contact with the CPU you should be able to tell by the compound distribution. I know it is a silly question but did you remove the protective film from the bottom of the cooler? Is the cooler tightened down enough on the CPU? I would question about sensor placement but with a 70 deg C core temp (you are reading Celsius and not Fahrenheit correct?) the cooler cannot be making contact with the CPU. What kind of core temps were you getting with the factory heat sink?

The first time I unmounted the heatsink it looked like this:

It's not a silly question, actually, and i checked for the protective sticker three times myself! Yes, C not F. ;). I have tried tightening and loosening with no impact. The stock heatsink was never applied. At stock settings, max temps stay under 50. Those temps occur only during a stress test when overclocked and not during normal use. I'm much less concerned with the reported core temps than the fact that the block is not getting hot. Once the cooling is functioning properly, I will deal with the rest.

wgb
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby wgb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:53 pm

It looks like you are not getting good even surface contact. I personally do not use ceramique, so I just read the link you provided for application and am guessing that you are applying a line of the product and letting the block squeeze it out to distribute it as you tighten it down. I would suggest that you apply a small amount (about a half a large grain of rice) and spread it out evenly on top of the processor to form a very thin even coat across it and then put your cooling block on. Thats it for me tonight, will check back later in the morning. Good luck!
BFG Tech EX-1200 PSU

Mathemagician
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Mathemagician » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:00 am

wgb wrote:It looks like you are not getting good even surface contact. I personally do not use ceramique, so I just read the link you provided for application and am guessing that you are applying a line of the product and letting the block squeeze it out to distribute it as you tighten it down. I would suggest that you apply a small amount (about a half a large grain of rice) and spread it out evenly on top of the processor to form a very thin even coat across it and then put your cooling block on. Thats it for me tonight, will check back later in the morning. Good luck!
Ceramique is very thick. I tried spreading it the second time and got the same result. Third time it's the line and same result. At this point I'm thinking it's something else. The mounting bracket is the only other thing I can think of.

fornever
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby fornever » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:14 am

so...any update on this?
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom X4 965 (WC)*
X2 Samsung HD502HJ Raid 0
2 GB Kingston Hyper DDR3
ATI Radeon 3870 (WC)*
ANTEC EarthWatts 650