Asus Rampage Extreme and CHC-122

Northbridge, Southbridge, PCI-E chip, and VReg water blocks...
Donnegal
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Asus Rampage Extreme and CHC-122

Postby Donnegal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:07 pm

Hey there,

I was hoping to leave the factory heatpipes on the motherboard and simply add this waterblock to cool the northbridge. Unfortunately, after ordering all the gear, the CHC-122 doesn't fit (raised parts of the heatsinks and copper pipe collide)... can a person use an Intel LGA 775 spacer to correct this? What's the best solution?

Freed0m
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Re: Asus Rampage Extreme and CHC-122

Postby Freed0m » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:27 am

Hi,

I haven't really finished water-cooling my ram-ex (blocks not here yet) but I think the spacer is not a good idea even if it fits IMO. You see, the heatpipe contruction of the ram-ex is not very efficient when it comes to northbridge cooling. The northbridge construction is something like this:

water block <<-- top of fusion cooler
tim
black metal cover (not sure if copper or alu)
2 round copper heatpipes
copper sheet
tim <<-- bottom of fusion cooler.
northbridge

The problem is heat has to travel through several layers of metal + tim before it reaches the water in your loop. So less heat reaches your water block, which in turn reduces the water blocks effectivity to cool your northbridge. Adding a spacer will add another layer of metal + tim that the heat needs to pass through.

So, if you want the best cooling for your northbridge, I think it is better to just dump the fusion system altogether and put the water block directly above the northbridge. Just add heatsinks(or additional water blocks :mrgreen: ) into the mosfet/vreg areas. Or just go with the fusion block (air or water), it still works, just not as effective.

Also, I found a thread in XtremeSystems forums that shows which parts of the ram-ex need a heatsink (with pictures). I don't know if I can post links to another forum here so just google "rampage extreme custom water cool" and look for the thread if your interested.

Just a suggestion. 8-)

Donnegal
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Donnegal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks for the tips... was really hoping not to have to add more waterblocks and pull this thing apart again, but I guess it's what I have to do...

TheD
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby TheD » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Just to add a note to this thread...since I was in the same boat as the thread creator on this...

I dremeled the high parts off of the N/S bridge that interfered with the CHC-122 which did the deed of allowing me to get rid of the fusion block without retooling the whole board setup.

If you are brave enough to dremel on your board...this could work for you too...

Return to “Water Blocks - Motherboard”