Waterblock & Taking Dual-Slot High-End Radeons Down to 1

Video card/GPU water cooling blocks...
Savage1701
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Waterblock & Taking Dual-Slot High-End Radeons Down to 1

Postby Savage1701 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:38 am

Will any of the new waterblock card coolers allow the high-end Radeons with 6 displayports to go down to single-slot, assuming all displayports were on one PCI slot and one was willing to get or remove the dual nature of the card's 2-bracket original configuration?

Also, will the water blocks for the cards allow the nozzles to clear the adjacent slot space, assuming one was to buy the correctly angled ones?

Basically, by hook or by crook I want to be able to get 6 DisplayPorts driving 6 2560x1600 cards from a single, water-cooled Radeon that only burns one slot. Since my system is already Koolance-equipped on the CPU, I would add a radiator and loop and it would be pretty easy. I also want to be sure I get the "regulation" ATI layout.

Thanks for any help.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Waterblock & Taking Dual-Slot High-End Radeons Down to 1

Postby Ace0751 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 am

Don't know what your really trying to say but ill do my best. The reason for the 2 slot is for better cooling the gpus with the stock fan. If you put a small heat sink on the cards they will easily overheat defeating the point for dual gpus. But once you remove the fan it will go down to one slot, only problem is your still using 2 slots cause the vent that was exhausting the hot air is still taking up a slot. Only way to get rid of it is cutting it off then it will become a single slot card, but what happens if you want to sell it.

Then you can go with a swivel nozzle or a 45 degree angle adapter with a compression nozzle. But the boards these days especially gaming boards should give you enough room for dual gpu cards to fit next to each other even if you water cool them. And all the other slots will be for extras. Hope some of this info helps.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Savage1701
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby Savage1701 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 am

Well, I'm looking at using a Koolance solution for a custom trading platform that must, unfortunately, do video rendering as well once in a while, otherwise I would just get Quadro single slot cards. Once I commit to the card, I'm their for the life of the card (along with a spare). I don't really care about modding the PCI backplate. There are custom PCI backplate makers out their that will make any cutout you want on any size PCI bracket, so I'm not worried about hacking off the half bracket that has no outputs but is just for vents. That's why the Good Lord gave us the Dremel corporation... :-)

I'm a little puzzled where the fans would come into play - I am talking about a Koolance 6990 full plate. My main concern is that I go through the trouble to buy the plate, make sure the card is ATI reference, install it, and have a problem losing a second slot anyway. As long as the ports point towards the "top" of the MB (towards the backplate with the audio and USB jacks), I am all good. I'm not worried about hacking up a backplate. My current system is several years old. I doubt I would worry about parting it out and selling it on Ebay when I upgraded.

I've run Koolance products for over 6 years now. I liquid cool my CPU's all the time. I don't and won't OC either my CPU or my Video. I want stability and low temps. But I do want a single-slot 6 DP solution.

Is there something about the VID-AR699 I am missing that it needs the fans put back on top?

Thanks for any help.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 am

No nothing for the fans I was just referencing them, that's why it takes up 2 slots lol. I have my 6990 liquid cooled if you want to see the sig. But if you cut off the vent slot you should be able to have a single waterblock slot. As for the fittings the block has 4 fittings for you to mess with. 2 point up and 2 point down giving you tons of variations to go with. Have you ever liquid cooled a video card yet?
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Savage1701
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby Savage1701 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 am

Pictures would be greatly appreciated !!!

My only cooling of video cards goes back to old Nvidia cards using Koolance generic coolers, but I was successful. I have liquid cooled cpu's on regular and server boards, built redundant loops and such, as I said, for 6 years, so I feel I am qualified to create loops and radiator setups for video cards.

And it is really important to me to get to a (6) 2560x1600 DP monitor card in a single-slot solution to drive my setup, especially since I can't just go low-power Quadro. I need the ability to do some HD editing on one of the 2 platforms. And it's important for my work to have 'hot spares' of everything ready to go, should something fail.

Any further input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 am

If you highlight the link in my sig you can see some pics of the 6990 maybe giving you further input on what a single one might look like. As for the waterblock for the card, its a little different than the cpu and generic video card blocks. Of course you will still need to put thermal grease on the gpus. But now you need to pad it which they do give instructions on how to do it kind of. If your worried about power try picking up another 6990 or maybe a 6970 and it should give you more than enough of what you need.

I don't know anything about HD editing, and very little about multiple monitor setups. But for building and cooling the pc I am more knowledgeable in that area. Just trying to help getting the right setup for ya. I have been liquid cooling for 3 years and all the mistakes that I've made I've gain more experience on what not to do and how to set loops up. So do a lot of other people on here to lol.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 am

Just out of curiosity why are you set on doing this with 1 card and 1 slot? What restrictions are you facing that requires this?

If you use 2 cards and don't SLI/Crossfire them you do get to use all the outputs. Example 2x 8800GTS can drive 4 monitors if not in SLI. Or 2x 4850x2 can drive 8 monitors when not in crossfire.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Savage1701
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby Savage1701 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 am

Ace:

Congrats on a great-looking rig.

That is EXACTLY what I am looking to do - liquid cool a 6990 by adding a loop and a radiator, with the loop exiting towards the top of the case. Butchering the PCI bracket is my idea to get down to 1 slot, but I'll never sell the card so I don't care. And if I have to warranty it, I will swap it with the spare's "good" bracket and slap the fan back on. I figure by the time it fails they will be cheap anyway.

Technically, I am not concerned about the thermal grease or padding either. My major concern, which you also answered, was knowing that XFX was an "ATI Reference" design that the plate would fit.

Good to see that an 800w PSU does the trick. Corsair makes great PSU's.

Thanks for your time and helpfulness. Again, great looking rig.

Regards,

Steve

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:36 am

LOL that's a thermaltake toughpower 1000w psu. These cards probably won't last as long as the mainstream cards do. The 4870x2 are no where to be seen now and I think their was a 5990 and that's in the stone age now on buying it. So if you have the money buy a few of them if not the 6970s will be just as good. Glad to be a help. You will need padding for the waterblock, it comes with the block anyways. I say that because the chips on the card need to be padded, if they are not they will overheat and fry the card. And keep the black backplate to that will help keep the block on. And I believe the 6990 will last for a long time its also green meaning environmental friendly but we will see.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Savage1701
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby Savage1701 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:42 am

Ace - thanks for the requirements on the padding and backplate as well. Koolance seems good on advising on those things, and I would anyway, but good to be reminded. Good also to know what is going the route of the dinosaur.

Thanks again.

Return to “Water Blocks - Video”