Suggestions on my planned setup please

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
sherpa21987
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Suggestions on my planned setup please

Postby sherpa21987 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi all, I am planning on building a new computer however I think I am going to run into some difficulties with cooling loop setups and I wanted to see if anyone has some suggestions.

My processor will be: Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Water block: CPU-370 (CPU), 1.5mm Midplate [no nozzles]
Nozzles: 1/2"

Graphics will be: EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified Hydro Copper Quad (This is a set of 2 GTX590s that will SLI together, Also these are the "Hydro" addition so they come with waterblocks already)
Water block: Stock
Nozzles: 1/2"
Connectors: Either CNT-VDA2 or CNT-VDA34 X 2 (not sure which will be needed)

So anyway I was looking at the Exos 2.5 but i am wondering:
1) will this provide enough cooling for these 3 devices (2 video cards and 1 processor (4 GPUs and 1 CPU))
2) should I use 1/2" tubing?
3) Can the EVGA Hydro copper blocks be used with the koolance exos 2.5?
4) How exactly do you recommend setting up the loops?
A) EXOS--->CPU--->Video card 1--->video card 2--->EXOS
(CPU, Video card 1, and Video card 2 all in series)

B) EXOS--->Splitter--->CPU---------------------------------->Splitter---->EXOS
........................|------->Video card 1--->video card 2----->|
(CPU in parallel with video card 1 and 2 in series)

C) EXOS--->CPU--->Splitter---->Video card 1--->Splitter--->EXOS
...................................|-------->Video Card 2--->|
(CPU in series with video card 1 and 2 in parallel)

I am open to the idea of having 2 exos's or radiator/Pump/Reservoir setups... one running for just the processor and one running for both video cards... Please tell me what you think! Any help is appreciated...
Last edited by sherpa21987 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Suggestions on my planned setup please

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 am

Nice specs but I'm not an nvidia person so I will not help you lol j/k. With those waterblocks on the cards if they let you put anything on them nozzle wise I would just go with 10mm nozzles and tubing. Their is no difference between 10 and 13mm if their is its very little. Ill tell you right now I have the 6990 on the exos and it does produce heat so with 2. 590s you might want to look into an extra radiator and pump. That will keep a constant flow going and don't worry about copper and aluminum radiators mixing it won't harm anything. But if you want to do a separate loop try looking at the RP1000BK and a 3 fan radiator for it.

Don't use splitters all it does is slow down the flow and that will cause increased temps plus it also gets confusing. You will probably need a drain valve but we can talk about those later. I hope this info helps a bit.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Tuthsok
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Tuthsok » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to comment on my experience with the EVGA 590 hydro and how it affected the rest of my loop which is full Koolance.

I am running 2 PMP-400 pumps in serial using the RP-401X2 reservoir. Initially I set my loop up with just the 370 cpu block, a 3x120 rad, 6 sets of VL3N QDCs, a temp meter and a flow meter. The loop is controlled by the TMS-200/TMS-EB200. With this setup I was getting 1 gpm flow rate while running the pumps at 8.54 volts. When I added the EVGA 590 hydro it substantially dropped my flow rates. I had to run my pumps at the TMS-200 max setting of 12.7 volts to barely touch 1 gpm. The swiftech block on this card seems very restrictive.

I bring this up because the Exos 2.5 appears to have a single PMP-400 pump and having seen the effects of this card in my loop I wonder what a pair of them will do to a single pump for flow rate.

My card had to go back for RMA as the block was leaking slightly in the seam but when it returns I may have to try a few things out as I want to at least keep the higher flow in my cpu loop. Since I have a dual bay/pump resevoir I may just run two loops, one for my cpu and one for the video card, and keep a spare pump on hand instead of running serial for redundancy. I am also considering creating a second loop using a PMP-450 in some configuration as this is supposed to be a higher flow pump.

Another option I am considering is to replace the gpu cooling block on the EVGA hydro with the Koolance one. What I prefer about the Koolance gpu block is that it uses micro fins instead of pins. I really don't know if it is fact but micro fins seem to me that they would cause a lot less restriction as the coolant flows through them than the pins in the gpu cooling areas of the swiftech block.

I guess I would agree with your last statement about possibly running 2 Exos' or similar setups.

I hope this helps :)

Cheers,

sherpa21987
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby sherpa21987 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:18 pm

I have been looking and ERM-3K3UC Cooling System, Copper is another option for me as well... it looks like this system has a much higher flow rate pump than the exos 2.5 so maybe i could put everything on one cooling system as opposed to 2...

BTW thanks ace... i will look into that RP1000BK

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:15 am

If you are going to change the waterblocks on the card, better make sure that koolances blocks will fit that card. So contact them for that.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Tuthsok
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Tuthsok » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 am

Thanks Ace0751 :)

Every source I have researched so far says that the EVGA 590 (hydro or air) are reference PCB. But you bet I will be asking EVGA and Koolance directly to confirm before I go that route.

Cheers,

sherpa21987
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby sherpa21987 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 pm

So, any comments on getting 1 ERM-3K3UC Cooling System, Copper for all the loops and running splitters? something like

ERM-3K3UC--->CPU--->split--->video1--->split--->ERM3K3UC
............................|----->Video2----->|

versus getting either 2 exos 2.5s (one for the processor (and maybe the memory)) and one for the video cards

or getting the RP1000BK with a 3 fan radiator for the video cards?

Not really sure which is the best path...

And Ace0751 you said to look in to getting an extra radiator and pump.... If i did that do i need another tank? or could i do something like this...

EXOS--->CPU--->Stand alone pump (maybe PMP-450S)--->radiator (maybe KIT-EHX1020A with a ENC-360)--->splitter--->videocard1--->splitter---EXOS
....................................................................................................................................|------>videocard2----->|

or would it need to be:

EXOS--->CPU--->Pump tank combo (like a RP-1000BK)--->radiator (maybe KIT-EHX1020A with a ENC-360)--->splitter--->videocard1--->splitter---EXOS
....................................................................................................................................|------>videocard2----->|

I guess my question is can you have a pump in-line after the CPU without a reservoir? or does a pump always require a reservoir?

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:23 am

A pump does not need a new tank you can run everything off one tank if you do a series look but if you do a separate loop then you will need another tank like the RP1000. As for the pump needing an extra rad, you do not need to get an extra one but the pump does produce heat when it pushes the coolant. It will cause the temps to rise without one, a single rad would concel it out. You have different view on splitters but to me personally I don't like using them cause: A. It will slow the flow down B. It gets confusing when you start adding more and more splitters.

Without the pump and rad:
Exos>CPU>vid1>vid2>exos

With extra single rad and pump:
Exos>CPU>rad(your choice)>pump>vid1>vid2>exos

Separate loop:
Exos>CPU>exos
RP1000>3 fan rad>vid1>vid2>RP1000

Hope this helps a bit.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

sherpa21987
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby sherpa21987 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:24 pm

So Ive done more looking and have come up with this:

Loop diagram

Devices:
1 X CPU370 - CPU block
2 X VID-NX590 - GTX590 block
1 X INS-FM17N - Coolant flow meter
1 X ERM-3K3UC

Connectors:
2 X VL3N-M13S - QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff, Male [For ID: 13mm (1/2in), OD: 16mm (5/8in)]
2 X VL3N-F13S - QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff, Female [For ID: 13mm (1/2in), OD: 16mm (5/8in)]
6 X NZL-V13P - Nozzle Pair, Compression [For ID: 13mm (1/2in), OD: 16mm (5/8in)]
2 X CNT-VDA34 - Dual VID Connector, Adjustable 2-3 Slot Spacing

Might add 2 more quick disconnects for disconnecting the external cooler from the case

Comments? Suggestions? Did i miss anything?

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”