Reservoir and or Radiator placed inside a Freezer

Pumps and reservoirs
Stephan
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Reservoir and or Radiator placed inside a Freezer

Postby Stephan » Wed May 23, 2012 3:31 am

Hi,

I'm busy designing a Koolance Loop to cool down my CPU, and possibly my GPUs in the future.

I noticed that the Koolance Coolants have a freezing point of around -15 degrees Celsius, so what are the possibilities of placing either the Reservoir and or the Radiator into a Freezer?

Will this have any negative effect on the Flow of the Liquid Coolant because the Coolant is now "thicker" and more difficult to pump?

If I cool down the Liquid to -10 Degrees Celsius, will it cause my PMP-450S to fail?

Do I need to be concerned about condensation on my CPU Block?

Stephan

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Reservoir and or Radiator placed inside a Freezer

Postby Izerous » Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 pm

You will kill your computer with condensation unless you insulate everything, and that can actually happen above freezing temperatures. How low you can get without risking condensation depends on your rooms relative humidity and the relative ambient temperature.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Putting any of those in a freezer would not be a wise idea. First and foremost it would probably crack causing massive leaks or more. Liquid cooling is meant to cool the components to a certain temp and that all depends on how the loop is setup it is not meant to freeze your components. As far as the liquid goes it has a freezing point of -15C it does not mean all the components will be able to handle the liquid that cold plus it will warm up anyways so that's another reason not to do it.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Stephan
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Stephan » Thu May 24, 2012 2:13 pm

So, what happens if I mount the Mobo upside down so that any condensed water vapor or water droplets drip down the CPU Block?
Is there there actually any condensation taking place on the CPU or around the Socket that might connect with the Mobo circuits?

The main aim here is to get he lowest possible Temps without causing "excessive" condensation!

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Sat May 26, 2012 12:07 am

If the plain water cooling is not enough you need a bigger water cooling system which should start with a better radiator with more fans followed by a better pump.

camivill
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby camivill » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 pm

so what happened?
I was always wondering on putting the radiator outside Home, like aircons... Outside is cooler than inside....

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 am

Would be a waste of time.

Using a properly built liquid coling system with the proper capacity for what you are cooling is all that is needed.

Orthello77
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Orthello77 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 am

If you are ready to do some serious work then its all possible.

Your pump been made mainly of plastics should be OK at -10c to -15c . If the pump is located outside the freezer the internals of the pump should be covered in dielectric grease (unless it is in the freezer also then this is not necessary) . The liquid will be more viscous and harder to pump but it will not kill your pump just because its below zero.

The main problem will be condensation. Two ways. Insulate all piping , surrounding motherboard components and waterblock so condensation does not occur , this is very difficult but can be done with enough attention. The other way is to put your motherboard / cpu inside the freezer also, router power cabling / monitor / mouse cabling through the freezer wall. Then you will not have any condensation problem as the air is also cold.

My system here : http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/s ... p?t=363597 , uses chilled air / air tight chamber to solve the condensation problem.

cerealkeller
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby cerealkeller » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:34 am

lol, I actually gave some thought to this myself at one point in time. As others have said, you would need to insulate your CPU socket and the area around on both sides of the mother board. Which is an extremely time consuming process that will require a lot of research to learn to do it correctly.
Your best bet would be to use thermo electric coolers or TEC coolers. They're dirt cheap and you can find them ebay and elsewhere. But in order to run them correctly the TEC coolers would also have to be liquid cooled, except some of the lower power modules. The one way you can use TEC coolers without insulating your board is to have a chilled liquid loop. If you run chilled liquid all the time, it will cause condensation. But if you only use the TECs to cool the liquid when the CPU is under high load, like if you're gaming, benchmarking or torture testing. Then, with a lot of time and fine tuning you can chill your liquid to the point where it will keep your CPU just above ambient temperature even under load.
But you really, really, really have to be seriously dedicated to this method. If you go all out and end up insulating your board so you can use either direct contact TEC with your CPU or full time chilled liquid. The insulation method would make your board unsellable to anyone other than somebody who wants to run a TEC cooler setup. I don't know about you, but I usually sell my old stuff when I build a new system to help offset the cost a bit.
TEC coolers require a lot of power to run and it's not very cost efficient in regards to electricity.
So in the end, your best bet is to buy the best thermal paste, water block, radiators + fans and pump money can buy. And use either a good coolant or steam distilled water with a nice sized reservoir. If you're gonna use distilled water just change it out every 3 months or so. I usually just suck it straight out of my reservoir using one of the Koolance coolant bottles with the straw attached to it. And just be happy with whatever clock speed and temperatures you can achieve.

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Using the proper water block, good thermal paste, proper radiator, fans and pump will indeed be the best way.

Also keep in mind you do not want the maximum flow rate you can achieve. The flow rate needs to be such that it absorbs the most heat from the water block and dissipates the most heat in the radiator.

I discovered that when playing around with the liquid cooling on my Xbox 360. Too high or too low of a flow and it didn't cool as good.

The best way to achieve that is to use a controller that can automatically control the pump and fan speed based on temperature.

Return to “Pumps & Reservoirs”