EXOS LT - Too small?

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
simfreak
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: EXOS LT - Too small?

Postby simfreak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 am

So i agree that the longer the loop the more friction you have, there are some pretty insense calculations for this out there; basically for vynal it comes down to a loss of .22 ft of head presure per horizontal foot of tube. Koolance made a comment that they had one running 30ft away, but more then 10 and you start to see drop off.
I really should come up with a script to figure all this out; but im not that good at math. Besides that, i dont know the performance level of each heat block; Each block is a bell curve for heat transfered over velocity. Im sure there is a peak effecency rating for each block. As far as the liquid goes; Your absolutly right, the more liquid the longer it takes to cool that liquid off. The one nice thing about having the ERM is that its power is independent of the computer; So i can run the system for 5 minutes with the computer off and the temps drop right back down.
But like you said, why change it if its working? Yesterday it was 80f in the house and the water temp stayed at 88f after 3 hours of gaming.... No complaints.

So as far as copper goes; The idea would be to come off of the ERM with vynal for about 2ft then transition to copper with a quick disconnect between, same on the cpu site; Maybe 3 ft of vynal (so i can pull the unit out of the cubby with out disconnecting it) and then transition to copper with quick disconnects between.
This way if i had to move the unit, i could disconnect from the copper and connect streight to vynal for say a lan party or something like that...
The reason im considering the copper is that vynal is very plyable when warm; so its easy for it become kinked and slow flow. Copper also has a lot less fricion from surface tension than vynal.

PS i think this is a good converstation to have for all those lurking in the forums. I know it probably would have saved me a ton of money had someone posted everything I learned in the past month.

MCP
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby MCP » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:53 am

If you have the ERM-3K3UA, then I would recommend against using copper tubing since you'll have both copper and aluminum in the same loop which can cause problems.

If you have the ERM-3K3UC, then that wouldn't be an issue.

simfreak
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby simfreak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 am

I belive the aluminum and copper need to be touching in order to oxidize. In this case i would be going from copper to a fitting that is copper on one size and brass on the other.
Either way, i have the CU, so the rad is copper. But most of the fittings that koolance sell are not.

Ther would be the progression of events:
ERM AL Compression fitting > Vynal Tube > AL Quick Disconnect Female > AL Quick Disconnect Male > Vynal tube > Brass barbed fitting to threaded swival head > Copper threaded fitting > Copper pipe > copper treaded > brass swival head to barbed > vynal > F quick disconnect > PC bracket with male quick disconnect.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 am

They don't need to physically touch, they just need to touch via the fluid for corrosion to possibly happen. But quite a bit of the current Koolance products are nickle plated for that exact reason, because then the fluid is touching the nickle directly not the copper/aluminum.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

simfreak
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby simfreak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am

Izerous wrote:They don't need to physically touch, they just need to touch via the fluid for corrosion to possibly happen. But quite a bit of the current Koolance products are nickle plated for that exact reason, because then the fluid is touching the nickle directly not the copper/aluminum.

Ah makes sense.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm

OK say you go with copper piping inside the system and something starts leaking and you have no way to easily drain the fluid what are you going to do. Have to think of issues that might arise from this and try to find a solution. I know its fun experimenting with all of this but what's not fun is having something fry or everything fry. You are trying to complex something so simple lol the only math you need for this is basic math and maybe a little science that's the beauty with liquid cooling, the ability to experiment with different things while adding what you want.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

simfreak
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby simfreak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:16 pm

i would trust copper over vynal any day; Sure you need to make sure your solder connections are sound; But there are also quick disconnects on either end of the copper in my scenario. So you wouldnt need to draing the whole system, just the one pipe that is affected. Vynal has a bad habbit of expanding over time, so eventually you will leak if you dont keep adjusting your compression fittings.
Also im not talking about doing copper inside the case, that would be nuts and dont even want to think about it. Im only talking about the run from the back of the case to the emt. So if there were a leak from solder joints it would be exposed and on the out side of the computer. Not saying it wouldnt be messy, but at least the computer wont fry.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Their goes the surge protector and make sure a mop is on the wall just in case LOL damn emergency kit.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

simfreak
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby simfreak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:59 pm

im not too worried; the loops arnt presurized; Unlike your house which runs in excess of 60PSI at all times; So it would if anything be a very slow drip, not a fountain. Now if a leak sprung while the pump is running, then you could run into some issues;
Again, not to worried, i have replaced bathrooms and so am comfortable with a blowtorch and solder.
I have had compression fittings come apart on me with this system already, spilling liquid all over the board. So thats why the vynal tubing gives me a bad taste.
I think this would be a fun project; but im not about to attempt it anytime soon. I will probably save it for later in the year; Right now there is just too much yard work i have to do to devote that much time to it.

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”