Single CU420V - am I asking for trouble?

Heat exchangers, fans...
Thalyn
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Single CU420V - am I asking for trouble?

Postby Thalyn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:13 am

I'm looking to set up a water cooling system in the next couple of weeks. Summer is coming and my GPU is running a delta of 50ºc under normal load conditions without any overclocking applied, so I need to do something before ambients go up any further. Note that, at present, I haven't actually purchased any parts - I'm just gathering information and preparing myself.

Due to space limitations, however, I'm limited in what I can use. I've got a Silverstone TJ08B-E "Temjin Evolution" case loaded up pretty much to capacity - there's only a single 3½" and 5¼" drive bay unused. As such, I really can only use a single 120mm radiator in the exhaust and the best options I have available to me seem to be either the Koolance HX-CU420V or the AlphaCool NexXxoS Monsta 120. Obviously a HX-120XC would be better but I can't seem to source one at my usual suppliers.

But will that single 120mm radiator be enough? I have an i7 4770K which needs to be hooked up to it along with my GTX780, using a CPU-380i and a VID-NXTTN respectively. A pair of Noctua NF-F12s are ready and able to be put in push/pull configuration to blow through the radiator and a PMP-450 will be pushing the liquid through. 10mm hose is on the cards to keep everything flowing without getting too cramped.

I'm not looking for sub-10ºc deltas between component temps and ambient, and I understand that it won't be possible with such a setup - so long as they're sub-40ºc it should be fine, but sub-30ºc would be preferable. I'm also a little keen on the overclocking but could resist the temptation if it's simply too much. Theory suggests what I'm after is achievable but the lack of any reviews is making me hesitant, though PNY's combination GPU/CPU closed-loop GTX580 at least gives me hope it might be possible.

Any thoughts?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Single CU420V - am I asking for trouble?

Postby Izerous » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 am

A single 120mm rad will not be sufficient for both a GPU and CPU. Looking at images of that case you may need to go to external solutions to get the results you want.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Thalyn
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Single CU420V - am I asking for trouble?

Postby Thalyn » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:43 am

That's what I'm afraid of. Going external is going to make things awkward - especially given I travel with this computer every now and then. Anything hanging off the outside is going to risk getting damaged, which is probably an even worse prospect when water is involved.

QDCs might be an option, but I'd need to do some modifications to fit them as I've got no spare backplates (double-slot GPU, double-slot SPU).

Return to “Radiators & Fans”