which Koolance blocks are best for 790i MB?

Northbridge, Southbridge, PCI-E chip, and VReg water blocks...
gust334
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

which Koolance blocks are best for 790i MB?

Postby gust334 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:02 pm

I'm shopping for my first liquid cooled build and I've narrowed the motherboard to one of several 790i vendors. Most of these have elaborate heat pipes and air sinks pre-installed. Has anybody replaced those with Koolance NB/SB/Vreg coolers, and if so, which specific blocks did you use for the 790i MB? My plan right now is to split the output of the 340 CPU block (hope it fits) to the various MB coolers and then rejoin them before returning to the radiator/tank/pump area. Any advice is appreciated!

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: which Koolance blocks are best for 790i MB?

Postby Izerous » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Use the koolance product wizard. and ever in the motherboards you were looking at.

http://www.koolance.com/product_wizard/blocks.php
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

gust334
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby gust334 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks Izerous, that link is very useful, but since I don't have the MB yet I still don't know what size VReg plates I need, nor do I have a good idea which of the multiple NB/SB models listed is the best fit. That's why I was asking if anybody has already done this and which blocks they used. When it is my budget on the line, I love retracing someone else's steps much better than forging my own path. :)

[Koolance] Dean

Postby [Koolance] Dean » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:54 pm

Hey Gust,
I'm working a 790i board myself I haven't had time to pull off the heatsinks to measure the vregs but once i do I'll post their dimensions here for you.

edit:
Alright, I measured one set of VRs as 60mmx12mm and another set as 65mmx11mm. This means you would need a MVR-PLT-58 and a MVR-PLT67. The 67mm plate is a tight fit though I might end up shaving a bit off the end of mine.

gotcow?
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby gotcow? » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Do you think it'll be possible to add what heat transfer plates are needed to that oh-so-delicious search?

Would it be too hard / impossible to get the dimensions of all the VR plates?

...even if it wasn't for all the plates, that little bit of information is really useful for those trying to plan a watercooling case. Like myself, I was wondering the original question also. :D

ryanklein
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby ryanklein » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 pm

One thing I want to point out is that if you are going to run SLI or put your graphics card in the top PCI-E slot (closest to the CPU) then you cannot run a water block there (on the southbridge). You don't actually need one anyways as the southbridge doesn't get [very] hot. What I suggest using is the EVGA southbridge cooler for the 680i as it fits exactly, without modification, on the 780i/790i. You can find it at http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.a ... 20Hardware

Regards,

Ryan

[Koolance] Dean

Postby [Koolance] Dean » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:33 am

Ryanklein, is that with or without cooling the video card? I've cooled every south bridge I've come across along with the video card (and always had a card in the first PCI slot) without a problem.

gust334
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby gust334 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:56 pm

ryanklein wrote:One thing I want to point out is that if you are going to run SLI or put your graphics card in the top PCI-E slot (closest to the CPU) then you cannot run a water block there (on the southbridge).

Having just completed my 790i Ultra installation, I can say this is right... and wrong.

As my first SLI installation, I was a bit surprised that the two GPUs go in the outside PCI Express slots, leaving the middle one open. (Prior to getting the board, I had just presumed two cards for 2-way SLI go in adjacent slots.)

I am using a CH125 on the SB of my 790i Ultra. If I tried to use the middle slot, there would be interference with the SB nozzles. I'm using the CH125 to ensure the nozzles clear the waterblock on the GPU closest to the CPU, since they are offset from center.

The one clearance issue I encountered is that the excess length of one of the two hold-down threaded shafts for the CH125 interferes with the GPU closest to the CPU. To fix that, I threaded on both thin nuts included in the hardware kit and ran them all the way down to where the threads ended. Then I sliced off the excess threads just at the surface of the second thin nut with a rotary tool. When I removed the thin nuts, that cleaned up any burr on the threads from the cutting. There was no need to cut the second shaft since I'm only running 2-way SLI.

It might be possible to shoehorn in a CH122 for the SB in 3-way SLI, but it would probably depend on the specific GPU and cooling for same. I don't think it would be an easy fit.

BurntPopcorn
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby BurntPopcorn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:28 am

to gust334,
the mobo's that are for 3 way sli have the open middle slot,

[Koolance] Dean

Postby [Koolance] Dean » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:23 am

gust334 wrote:
ryanklein wrote:One thing I want to point out is that if you are going to run SLI or put your graphics card in the top PCI-E slot (closest to the CPU) then you cannot run a water block there (on the southbridge).

Having just completed my 790i Ultra installation, I can say this is right... and wrong.

As my first SLI installation, I was a bit surprised that the two GPUs go in the outside PCI Express slots, leaving the middle one open. (Prior to getting the board, I had just presumed two cards for 2-way SLI go in adjacent slots.)

I am using a CH125 on the SB of my 790i Ultra. If I tried to use the middle slot, there would be interference with the SB nozzles. I'm using the CH125 to ensure the nozzles clear the waterblock on the GPU closest to the CPU, since they are offset from center.

The one clearance issue I encountered is that the excess length of one of the two hold-down threaded shafts for the CH125 interferes with the GPU closest to the CPU. To fix that, I threaded on both thin nuts included in the hardware kit and ran them all the way down to where the threads ended. Then I sliced off the excess threads just at the surface of the second thin nut with a rotary tool. When I removed the thin nuts, that cleaned up any burr on the threads from the cutting. There was no need to cut the second shaft since I'm only running 2-way SLI.

It might be possible to shoehorn in a CH122 for the SB in 3-way SLI, but it would probably depend on the specific GPU and cooling for same. I don't think it would be an easy fit.

I found the same problem with the screw, which I've forwarded the change to our product manager for consideration.

Also from what I've seen it is nearly impossible to cool the southbridge with a 9800GX2 or with EVGA cooled 260s/280s. Tri sli looks possible with our 125 block, but its a very tight fit.
(click for a larger picture)

Return to “Water Blocks - Motherboard”