First Cooling Rig, have some questions

Post your speeds and temps, or just talk shop.
Dragon
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

First Cooling Rig, have some questions

Postby Dragon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Mmk, lets give you the run down..

Current Hardware:
i'm running with a Thermaltake Armor+ Silver/Aluminum Case, 3/1TB Western Digital Caviar Green, HIS Radeon HD4870, 4Gb DDR3 GSkill Ram (currently with Heat Spreaders), and a 620W Corsair PS, all on a MSI P45 Diamond MOBO

Current CoolWare:
running with the stock back fan, front fan (in front of hard drive cage.. hard drives set up in five spaces 1/0/1/0/1 for air flow between) and stock 220mm side fan... in addition, I have added a 120mm to the top to increase outflow.. I also have 2 120mm fans hooked up on the bottom of the case where two addition harddrive spaces were, attached to the 2x120mm Radiator from Koolance

Current LiquidWare:
RP980 I think, running straight down to 2x120Rad, over to 4870 cooling block (inline drain inbetween rad and vid), up to 345 cpu block, back to rp980

Problem:
Still running hotter than with air cooling despite dropping OC..
when I was running with just air cooling my system would run at about 38C give or take, based off system temps (don't remember what source I had, probably Bios) now after having set up the LC system I sit normally at 39C and during gaming increase to the threshold (irritating beeping noise @ 55C) on the video card after playing TC's EndWar for maybe 3-4 hours

Ideas / Suggestions?

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: First Cooling Rig, have some questions

Postby Mik » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Your set up has enough heat dissipation capacity for the blocks you are running so the most likely problem is poor contact. One thing to check is how well the thermal pads are making contact with the chips on you graphics card. There are usually 2 thicknesses in the kit and one size does not fit all. Try removing your block and look for indentations in the pads to show contact with the chips. If you're not sure put a tiny smear of thermal paste on the chip, test mount the block and see if you get transfer of the paste in to the thermal pad. Once you have got that working clean up and refit. You should also try re-seating the CPU block. The consensus on the forum is that you should torque it down onto the CPU tight enough so that it is possible, but not easy, to twist the block on the CPU. Again, look for a smooth and thin deposit of paste on the bottom of the waterblock as a sign of good contact then clean it apply a thin layer of thermal paste to the CPU and reassemble.
Do you have thermal sensors in your loop? They can also help you to see what is happening. For example your CPU sensor should give a temp no more than 10 degrees less than the software sensor.

Dragon
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Dragon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm

mmk, well I read the part about torquing the CPU block down light it enough it can move, but hard enough it isn't easy.. I torqued mine so it couldn't move at all upon first assembly, read that, and backed it off a bit, so I don't think there should be any problem with contact on the cpu block.. cpu block sits at 39C, running like nothing but uTorrent and maybe some other small apps like Mozilla.. during the EndWar testing it was sitting close to 41-44C before alarm went off for GPU block, so I don't think i'm having trouble with the CPU block being cooled, but the numbers seem a little high to me, but then again i'm still new to this cooling biz.. are those numbers odd for CPU temps?

i'll double check the Bios see what its running up for CPU temps and compare with Koolance Temp Sens regarding CPU also, report back

Good idea about the GPU Chip thickness, I had forgotten about that tid bit.. will check and report back as well
P.S.(GPU) I have the GPU sensor underneath a screw on the back of the board, instead of close to the GPU block, will change when checking chip/pad thickness

P.S(PumpUnit) I have my fans set up on the pump unit to the full 10 all the time because it doesn't affect the noise at all with the fans I have, but I keep the pump running at 5 (normal usage) to keep noise to a minimum, and then bump up to 10 (gaming, etc.) for maximum cooling.. thoughts suggestions?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 pm

The fact that you have the fans full tilt on the rad with minimal noise concerns me. If the fans are insufficient they will not properly cool the system since the rad won't be cooled properly, thus why the higher CPU temps.

What are the fans that you are using on the rad?
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:28 am

Your CPU temps aren't too bad depending on your room conditions so you may see a small improvement but don't worry too much if you don't, your system is responding to stress ok too.
You mention that the fans are on the bottom of the case. Are they pulling air from under the case through the rad into the machine? That's fine from a water cooling perspective but you might be sucking up dust and other contaminants (is the machine standing on carpet? got a dog?). Over time this can clog the rad's fins and reduce cooling capacity. This would be compounded if the fans themselves are inadequate as Izerous suspects may be a factor. Apologies if I have maligned your housekeeping standards :)
Normally raising the pump speed won't make a huge amount of difference but it at 10 for max effect is fine if the noise level is not a problem. Since your CPU cooling is pretty good I'm still inclined to suspect a contact issue in the GPU is at least part of the problem.

Return to “Hardware and Overclocking”