Not so newb seeks advice and opinions on dual loops

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
BigEPratt
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Not so newb seeks advice and opinions on dual loops

Postby BigEPratt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello all,

Okay so here's the deal. I water cool for gaming performance in general but rarely OC. I would OC more if the life of the components didn't suffer as a direct result. Any who, here is a picture of my rig and its routes.

http://www.evga.com/community/ModsRigs/comment.asp?sysid=4127

I have two water systems. I am not seeing the performance in heat dissipation I would like to. So here is my new proposed set up.

Koolance Exos 2 --> Video 1 (both are 8800 GTS 320mb) -- > Video 2 --> NB --> SB --> trek back to Exos2

Thermaltake Bigwater 760 i --> CPU --> Seperate rad (single 120 MM) --> Back to big water

This will be the third try at reducing temps further. As of right now my Koolance loop is a headache but I thought I would try it.... I used 2 way splits to send the loop in two directions to meet back in the middle and then head back into the Exos... still seeing high 50's C for video and mid 30's C for cpu. (Motherboard at 36C as well).

I am going to attempt another loop here in the next few days and would appreciate some advice on my proposed changes.

Thanks.
E

[Koolance] Tim

Re: Not so newb seeks advice and opinions

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:43 am

I think high 50's for video and mid-30's for CPU would be pretty typical for that system. (Compare that to stock air cooling for those components.) There may be additional methods to drop temps a bit further, but I wouldn't expect a significant change without a second rad.

The Exos-2 does not have as strong of pump as the Exos-2 LX and Exos-2.5 models, so it is more sensitive to flow resistance. It is difficult to tell from the pictures, but it appears you are splitting from a single 3/8" to parallel 1/4" for the video. I would try eliminating that split and go 3/8" ID into both video in series. You might have a 2-3°C difference in temp between cards, but their overall load range could drop even lower.

Second, it is difficult to tell which loop the quick disconnects are used in. For maximum flow, you might remove them if they're in the Exos-2 loop. Straight-through nozzles have less flow resistance than quick disconnects. If it were a stronger-pump Exos model, it would probably not be as significant a difference.

Lastly if the above doesn't work, try adding a second radiator (either a single or double-120mm fan model). This is usually the easiest way of lowering overall temps.

BigEPratt
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby BigEPratt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:45 pm

What's funny is that I already have the 3/8" to 1/4" adapters on the way to hook that loop in series vice the split that it is in now. I am hoping for increased flow just by virtue of reducing the line length.

Is there an upgrade for the pump used in the Exos 2 (even with a little mod) that I could use instead of the one specifically made for the system itself?

Thank you for the advice, you have definitely helped.

Eric

[Koolance] Dean

Postby [Koolance] Dean » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 pm

You could look at using the TNK-400 with NZL-LXG2 and NZL-V10KGB.

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:48 pm

What's funny is that I already have the 3/8" to 1/4" adapters on the way to hook that loop in series vice the split that it is in now.

You would not want to bottleneck the system by going 3/8"->1/4"->3/8" in series. For series, the video blocks should get 3/8" ID nozzles so everything can be done on that tubing size.

BigEPratt
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby BigEPratt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:08 pm

[Koolance] Tim wrote:
What's funny is that I already have the 3/8" to 1/4" adapters on the way to hook that loop in series vice the split that it is in now.

You would not want to bottleneck the system by going 3/8"->1/4"->3/8" in series. For series, the video blocks should get 3/8" ID nozzles so everything can be done on that tubing size.

But isn't that what is already effectively happening when I use this connector, http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=401, since the inside diameter is (well looks to be) 1/4"?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:39 pm

I think you have your communications crossed.

"What's funny is that I already have the 3/8" to 1/4" adapters on the way to hook that loop in series"

Form that it sounds like your going...
3/8 > (1x in series) 1/4 > 3/8
without splitting it into parallel 1/4 paths.
3/8 > (2-3 parallel) 1/4 > 3/8
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”