[Update: Poll] New full-coverage MB blocks

Northbridge, Southbridge, PCI-E chip, and VReg water blocks...

Which motherboard(s) would you most like to see a new Koolance water block for?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:09 pm

ASUS Crosshair II Formula
8%
ASUS Crosshair III Formula
10%
ASUS Maximus III Formula
No votes
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
5%
ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer
44%
ASUS P7P55 WS SuperComputer
No votes
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
No votes
DFI UT X58-T3eH8
3%
EVGA P55 FTW SLI
3%
EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI
15%
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6
3%
MSI P55-GD80
No votes
Some other AMD 790FX board...
5%
Some other Intel P55 board...
No votes
Some other Intel X58 board...
5%

Total votes: 39

[Koolance] Tim

[Update: Poll] New full-coverage MB blocks

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 am

Before polling, we would like to hear suggestions on which motherboards to consider for new full coverage northbridge/southbridge water blocks. What would you like to see? (For a list of existing models, please see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=593). Thanks!

[Edit 9/22/09: Poll added! Some motherboard models may not have a traditional northbridge/southbridge layout. However, we may still consider them for a proprietary water block, VReg plates, etc., if needed.)

bambihunter
Water Cannon Artilleryman

Re: Please send us suggestions for new full-coverage MB blocks

Postby bambihunter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:49 pm

I STILL think Koolance needs an AMD option or two and personally I think one of the best out there is the Asus Crosshair II. I also can confirm the same block will work on the Asus M4N82 Deluxe and it looks like it will fit others...
Last edited by bambihunter on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:15 pm

I'm with Bam, would like to see a few AMD options. I still have no plans on moving to Intel anytime soon. It appears if it fits the m3n82/crosshair2 that it might fit quite a few of the m3n series including the m3nht-deluxe :).
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Knuckles6
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby Knuckles6 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm for an AMD block as well but not for the CrosshairII its an outdated board. We need one for th CrosshairIII which supports DDR3 memory and the latest CPU's from AMD.

bambihunter

Postby bambihunter » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 am

Knuckles6 wrote:I'm for an AMD block as well but not for the CrosshairII its an outdated board. We need one for th CrosshairIII which supports DDR3 memory and the latest CPU's from AMD.

Only in regards to DDR III. Everything else about the CHII has more OC options as well as 3 way SLI vs. only 2. I wouldn't trade my CHII for the CHIII. Regardless, that's my opinion and you are entitled to yours. ;)
The fact remains that we NEED an AMD solution! Most will agree that Asus is probably the best enthusiast level board.
When I look real closely at the CH III motherboard pictures on Newegg, it looks to have the EXACT layout as the CHII, M3N82 Deluxe and others. The layout is the same, I am not sure about the actual measurements. I will look on Asus's site to see if I can confirm they use the same heatpipe assembly. If all their popular ones do use the same assembly, then it should be a no-brainer that this should be Koolance's next full coverage block.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

astrodanco
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby astrodanco » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:14 am

I'd like to see a water block for the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 to replace the black heat sink fins in the middle of the board. Those black heat sink fins cool the north bridge, all the heat pipes that come from the MOSFETs and the south bridge. Those black heat sink fins are easily removed with four screws to reveal a massive heat sink with four screw holes in a parallelogram formation. You could make a block that screws on there just like the fins do only it would be water cooled instead of air cooled. That would in turn cool the voltage regulators and the north and south bridge without having to remove everything and without having to have a bunch of separate coverage water blocks.

Here's a picture of the removable black heat sink fins that I'm talking about:

Here's a picture with the removable black heat sink fins removed showing where I'd like to be able to screw on a water block instead:

Here is a picture of someone having screwed on a generic water block.

But your new water block would be made for just this purpose and be much better!
Core i7 920 (D0) @ 4.0Ghz, P6T Deluxe V2 (1003), 12GB CM3X2G1600C7 @ 1600 7.7.7.20 2T, ATCS 840, Antec TPQ 850, Radeon 4850, TMS-200+EB200+FM17, EK Supreme HF, EK-D5 dual top, 2X MCP-655-B, MCR-320, 6X Skythe D1225C12B5AP-15, Durelene tubing, BP fittings.

Ruroni
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Ruroni » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:07 am

Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9 ... templete=2

A board that actually needs the cooling. The NB is moved, so the NB, SB, and 2x NF200 chips are in the same section of the board, easy cooling. Best if you can still install full length cards of course.. Maybe too ambitious?

Asus P6T Deluxe V2. Quite a few people have it.
Gigabyte EX58(A) boards. Quite a few different models, and the "EX58A" updates boards will be out next month. But block mounting they all should be identical. Verify that.
MSI Eclipse Plus. Not sure if all the Eclipse boards have the same mounting holes.

Knuckles6
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby Knuckles6 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:13 pm

The only problem with a block for the Crosshair II is that not only is the board old and out of date. The AM2+ PhenomII processors themselves already have a end of life date for this year. Can't remember the exact date but AMD will no longer take orders for the CPU's sonetime later this year. With Koolance trying to supply blocks for the latest hardware they will most likely not even consider building one for this old of board. In fact you can't even buy the Crosshair II from Newegg anymore ZipZoomFly still lists the board but they are not in stock with no due date listed. Making a block for this board would be about the same as building one for socket 775 board for Intel.

When it comes down to it I don't care which AM3 board they make it for as long as its a 790FX/750SB board. We do need an AMD motherboard block and this is the chipset to work with till the 800 series comes out next year. From the looks of it nVidia has given up on support for AM3/DDR3 all together. As far as overclocking goes with as you call it limited choices I would say the 4Ghz I get with just a CPU mulit change and boost of vCore is pretty good, I think it could do better with a watercooling solution of NB/SB/Mosfets.

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:11 pm

This may sound a bit glib but "Whatever EVGA launches next" wouldn't be a bad place to start. My point is that there is a limited number of manufacturers who cater to the enthusiast market and do helpful things like making heat pipes easy to remove, having friendly warranties and including overclocking help out of the box. These are the companies we tend to reward with our business and the logical targets for full cover water blocks (regardless of whether Intel or AMD). That system would work for new MoBos however I think there could be a case for looking at popular older boards. I'm sure many of us would like to extend the life of an older MB by water cooling it but were put off by the complexity of the process and issues of multi SLI incompatibility before the full cover blocks came along(I have an EVGA 790 Ultra which fits that category). Whatever the exact models are I hope Koolance continues with these blocks, they are great.

bambihunter

Postby bambihunter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 am

Knuckles6 wrote:The only problem with a block for the Crosshair II is that not only is the board old and out of date. The AM2+ PhenomII processors themselves already have a end of life date for this year. Can't remember the exact date but AMD will no longer take orders for the CPU's sonetime later this year. With Koolance trying to supply blocks for the latest hardware they will most likely not even consider building one for this old of board. In fact you can't even buy the Crosshair II from Newegg anymore ZipZoomFly still lists the board but they are not in stock with no due date listed. Making a block for this board would be about the same as building one for socket 775 board for Intel.

When it comes down to it I don't care which AM3 board they make it for as long as its a 790FX/750SB board. We do need an AMD motherboard block and this is the chipset to work with till the 800 series comes out next year. From the looks of it nVidia has given up on support for AM3/DDR3 all together. As far as overclocking goes with as you call it limited choices I would say the 4Ghz I get with just a CPU mulit change and boost of vCore is pretty good, I think it could do better with a watercooling solution of NB/SB/Mosfets.

Not available??? Really, check again, it has never left from Newegg once it has arrived and is still more expensive than the CHIII because it allows for more tweaking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+50001315&QksAutoSuggestion=&Configurator=&Subcategory=22&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=crosshair

The CHII CAN use the AM3 processor. I have my AM3 955 OC'd to 3.95 in XP and 3.8ghz in Vista Ultimate 64 both running under 50c full load on all 4 cores.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the CHIII would have the features of the CHII but updated with DDR3 but they took a step backwards with it... I would have bought it if it would have been as good as the CHII (which many argue wasn't as good as the original Crosshair).
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100

Return to “Water Blocks - Motherboard”